Call Us: (+30) 22470.26009-10  
Log in Register

Login to your account

Username
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name
Username
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Friday, June 22, 2018

Leros



  • The Prefecture of the Dodecanese is characterised not only by its astonishing collection of islands, but also by the variety of its cultural resources that stem from the constant and consistent residency of the area dating from pre-historic times to today. The medieval architecture is especially interesting, since Greek culture and civilization has adopted a variety of elements from Eastern, Mediterranean and Western cultures. Judging from the large number of churches built on the island, clearly the religious element is profound and obviously very strong. The island of Leros is strategically positioned in the Prefecture of the Dodecanese with a view overlooking the calm, peaceful and distant Aegean.

    From an administrative point of view, Leros belongs to the Province of Kalymnos within the Province of the Dodecanese in the South Aegean region. It includes one Municipality – the Municipality of Leros and eleven settlements on the island which are governed by the Municipality. Further, the smaller islands in the vicinity of Kinaros, Levitha and Farmakonisi all belong to Leros.

    Leros is the ninth of twelve islands in the Prefecture of the Dodecanese. It covers an area of 53 square kilometres with 71 kilometres of total coastal length. It is considered to be a rocky island with small, flat areas scattered among the high grounds. The island’s coastal areas present intense sculpturing and secure bays are formed throughout.

    The island has two ports. One of them is Lakki in the southwest part of the island and is one of the largest, natural harbours in the Mediterranean. The second harbour at Agia Marina is in the northeast part of Leros

    “In being natural, peaceful, genuine, and innocent, Leros awaits to be visited by you so as to charm you by offering you endless, carefree moments of relaxation.”



    Leros is a destination that has not suffered from the consequences of mass tourism yet.. This is not to say that it is an island for only a limited number of people, but most certainly it an island for those willing to travel so far because they truly love serenity and nature, without denying themselves simple, decent accommodations, good real Greek food and an interesting night life. On the contrary, what Leros has to offer to those who know what they want is simple yet comfortable accommodation of high quality and sufficient quantity, great food made from local products, and a state of calmness away from the daily routine and problems of life in the big cities.

    Here, time seems to stand still or moves at a more sedate pace. Here, your own time will stand still for the duration of your stay. Away from the crowded and fashionable destinations, the large travel agencies and hasty travellers, on the island you will enjoy simple, everyday things without feeling at all isolated. This is Leros, the island of Artemis, the island of the castles and the Byzantine churches, with its picturesque homes and mansions, its Bauhaus settlement at Lakki that is unique in Europe, its mooring places and its virgin beaches, the open-hearted, fun-loving, hospitable people of Leros, the verdant landscape and crystal clear waters.

    For more information please visit the official website of leros municipality

  • A fully equipped upholstery workshop provides any design for all internal and external upholstery.

    All materials – fabrics, fittings and fasteners are available in our chandlery.


    Canvas & Upholstery Photo Gallery

  • Certified Associates and Service Center for many of the biggest brands of the Yachting and Marine Industry.

    Our chandlery in Partheni is currently the largest in Leros & the Dodecanese Islands at 400 m2. The main Chandlery is located in our Leros boatyard, fully equipped, and providing great support for the maintenance and repair needs of your vessel.

    A second chandlery of approx. 45 m2 is located in the Lakki Marina building providing all the necessities for your sailing needs.

        

           

           

              

         

                                  

     

  • Agmarmarine was founded in Leros in 1989. The passion of the founder for yachting has helped to make Leros Island a more attractive and popular destination for Sailing yachts Motor yachts & Mega yachts. Since then Leros has evolved into a crossing point between West, North, South Aegean and the Minor Asia - Turkish coast. 

    Today, Agmar marine provides a full range of services including and not limited to mechanical, electrical, rigging, marine paint and finishing works with well qualified and experienced staff on site. 

    The company currently operates Lakki Marina on a sea and shore side area of 10,000 M2. in Lakki town, next to the main harbour of Leros with 35 berths for vessels up to 60 meters long.  Our boatyard of 340 vessels is located in the South end of Partheni bay which is at the North side of the island, just 10 N.M from Lakki Marina.  

    Looking optimistically to the future, ready to invest even more in our yachting passion and expand the business much further with more facilities, services, technicians, and employees. Already in motion is the addition of about 90 berths in Lakki Marina and an expansion 16000m2 of our Dry Dock area.

     

  • Spotlight Image 

     

    Currently there are no vacant positions in our company.

    Please check in regularly for new employment opportunities.


  •  


    History has played an important role for Leros since antiquity and continues to do so. Leros is an island located at the southern edge of the Aegean Sea with 8,500 inhabitants. It belongs to the Prefecture of the Dodecanese and lies near Patmos. With its 53 square kilometres and a 71 kilometre rugged coastline with beautiful beaches Leros is today one of the last small island paradises for all visitors searching for serenity and a simple, traditional life style. It offers relaxation to both the body and soul with peace of mind in wonderfully hospitable environment that will embrace you from the very first moment and invite you to feel at home. This is the reason why the local people emphatically declare: “Those who experience the island will never forget it.”

    Its strategic geographical position in the southeast Aegean has granted Leros a past rich in history. The first traces of inhabiting were found at Partheni and Gourna dating back to the Neolithic period in the 4th century B.C.. The settlement at Knotarides which was discovered in 1980 is the most important monument of the island’s pre-history. It is located in the depths of the Bay of Partheni. Traces of a human presence during the Neolithic Period and the Early Bronze Age have been found in different locations throughout the island and primarily along the coast. No evidence of the Minoan period has thus far been found and only a few remains from the Mycenaean era have been discovered.

    During the 5th century, Leros experienced great cultural development under the political influence of the leading Ionian city of Miletus. The fortification projects at Paliokastro in Xirokambos during the 4th century B. C.and the fortifications at Partheni seem to be connected to Leros’s political dependence on Miletus.

    The Macedonian presence on the island can be seen from the excavation of coins that were found and the fact that the island’s liberation from the Persians is attributed to the Macedonians.

    The Greek historian Pherekides, who according to most scholars, lived during the Hellenistic period, originated from Leros, as did the satirist Demodikos in 550 B.C.

    The Byzantine period at the end of the 3rd century A.D. and onwards, enriched the island with exquisite examples of church architecture and fortification projects. The Castle at Panteli was built during this period. Also, the Castle of Lepida, known today as Palaikastro in the vicinity of remains of an even older wall of “Cyclopean” construction is dated to the Hellenistic period. It was used as a refuge by the inhabitants in the mid-Byzantine period. The Castle at Panteli towering over the villages of Agia Marina and Platanos is Leros’ most important medieval monument. Three surrounding walls, two of which date back to before 1087 and five churches, all survive today. The church of the Virgin Mary (Panagyia) at Kastro was built in the late 17th century, while the single-roomed church of Agia Triada dates back to mid-Byzantine years. The monk Damaskinos established a school at Kastro in 1726 to develop education on the island. Unfortunately, the school was closed in the middle of the 19th century.

    The island hosts rare, Byzantine, ecclesiastical monuments such as the church of Agios Ioannis Theologos at Lakki with building phases date back to the 10th century, Agios Zacharias at Merikia, Agioi Apostoloi at Kamar, Agios Petros at Drymonas, Agios Georgios at Partheni, the Virgin Mary Gourlomata and the Basilica of Agia Barbara. In the Basilica, the crowns from the pillars and other marble, architectural parts found in the ruins of buildings from ancient Leros were used in the construction of it. There are also many small, single roomed churches of the post-Byzantine period scattered throughout the island. Remains of churches can also be found at Alinta in the church of Agion Tessarakonta as well as in the public hostel. Also, the church of Agios Nikolaos and the church of the Virgin Mary at Palaiokastro can be found in the western part of Xerokambos.

    In 1314, Leros was conquered by the Knights of St John of Rhodes and was ruled by them until 1522 when the Ottoman Empire came to dominate the entire Aegean Sea area.

    During the period of Turkish rule, Leros managed to maintain a limited level of independence. But, when the Greek War of Independence broke out in 1821 the people of Leros contributed to the revolution with all their hearts and soul for their country’s liberation.

    Between 1912 and 1943, the entire Dodecanese was under Italian rule. During this period, many military undertakings were carried out and military facilities and installation were built throughout the island. The purpose of this development was to transform Leros into important nautical and aerial bases for the Italians by taking advantage of the island’s strategic geographical positioning as well as the unique morphology and fortification of the natural Bay at Lakki. A new pioneer city of its kind with a modern infrastructure and architecture unique in the whole of Europe was developed at Lakki.

    During the Second World War and after the Italians’ surrender, the Germans who had already captured Rhodes and Kos turned their strategy towards Leros which was being defended by the Italians and the English.

    The Greek destroyer Vasilissa Olga was the first victim of the Battle of Leros, and was sunk on 26th September, 1943. After continuous and violent bombarding, the battle ended on the 16th November, 1943 victoriously for the German army. The island was freed upon the liberation and handover of the Dodecanese to the British and the Greeks on 9th May, 1945. Two years of English occupation followed and at the end of March, once again Leros was finally united to the Dodecanese and the rest of Greece.

    During the island’s most recent history, Leros had been used as a place of incarceration for political prisoners who were imprisoned at either of the camps at Lakki or Partheni by the military police during the dictatorship from 1967 to1974.

    …“Alikarnassos, Partheni, Oropos, Koridalos…” Not a single Greek person can avoid becoming emotional on hearing or being touched by the lyrics of this specific verse.

    Further, in 1957 Leros was chosen as the site of the state psychiatric hospital which was built to relieve the congestion in other Greek psychiatric hospitals. Not only has this led to the long-term, dependency of the local economy on the hospital but also people’s negative association of Leros with the sanatorium.

    Since 1989, Leros has been implementing programmes for de-institutionalisation and patient psycho-social rehabilitation. The local community is also collaborating with efforts to re-integrate patients into society and in the implementation of treatment initiatives that are being pioneered throughout the whole country.

    For more information please visit the official website of leros municipality

  • Marina Chandlery in progress.... Coming soon....

                                               

  • We provide all paint applications on G.R.P - STEEL - ALU and WOODEN vessels. Osmosis treatments and grit/mud blasting of steel - aluminum - G.R.P. hulls are routine procedures.

    All major jobs are performed in specially designed and fully equipped hangars.


    Paints Workshop Photo Gallery